“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Saturday, 12/17 - Sun. a.m., 12/18

Dan here.

Yesterday we visited briefly. At first Mom was unresponsive, but after a little while, she began to speak and acknowledge my presence. I treated Saturday as her birthday, and showed her all the beautiful flowers (thanks to all who sent them, once again.) She looked at them as I showed them without much interest. I told her about each of the people in her life who loved her, and how well loved she was in general, which got her interest. She responded by asking whether I had the address to Woodbine. I told her the address, and she said I had to find the cards. I told her we had bought beautiful Hannukah cards for you all, and we sent them all out for her, giving her love to you all. On that note, please accept a Happy Hannukah, Merry Christmas, or Happy Holidays from us and from her, blog-style.

In general she was agitated yesterday, with the right arm moving compulsively to her face as we spoke. She's got a very soft velvety glove, so she can't pick at herself, and it provides some padding, so she can't whack herself too hard.

This morning, however, we just received a call to the effect that her feeding tube is out again. My guess is she pulled it out. In any event, they prescribed Zoloft for the compulsive arm movements, and Zoloft can take weeks to build up in one's system. If there's no change soon, however, we'll be lobbying for another drug, at the very least, and if all else fails, for a physical restraint.

Sorry not to be cheerier, but that's the news from Alexandria this morning.

Happy Hannukah to you all,

Dan and Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment