“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Happy First Day of Summer!!

I've finally gotten to Woodbine on my own. It's been awhile and I've missed going. I've just come to the conclusion that just like 40 is the new 30, "yuck," is the new "ok," when it comes to feeling well and I can't just sit around and wait for magic.

Estelle's nurse had called me yesterday and asked that we buy some more clothes for Estelle. I'm unsure how often they do laundry there - or if their washing machines somehow eat clothing because we bought her quite a bit of new clothing when she arrived here and bought her several new outfits on Mother's Day - but I checked with the head nurse and she verified that she specifically needed bottoms or gowns and so I went shopping before my visit this morning. I picked up a lounging suit (really neat cotton/rayon comfy material - top and bottom) as well as 3 pairs of pants and two mid-calf dressing gowns.

Estelle, unfortunately, did not get to see any of it as she was totally sound asleep and neither Teehah (the nursing supervisor) or I were able to wake her at all. Sometimes we can get her to open her eyes even if she does not feel like talking but even that was not happening today. I spoke to Phyllis, her aide, and she said that she had been given a shower this morning and was awake but untalkative for that and as soon as they got her back into bed she had fallen sound asleep.

I stayed for an hour or so - labeling her clothing, hanging things up, straightening her closet and drawers and hanging all of her lovely new cards on her cork board and then left without managing to rouse her at all.

Teenah did mention in the course of the conversation that Mom had talked to Vivian at some point last week. (I think she said Friday, but I am unsure now.) Teenah said that she thought they had a nice talk and that Mom was responsive at the time. Hopefully that is so.

There was a treasure trove of cards and letters from friends and relatives on her nightstand. I think that Dan has read some of them to her already. I put the letters in her drawer and hung the cards on her board and the next time one of us visits and she is awake we will take them out and down and read them again to her.

I know that several people have said that they were going to try calling Estelle through the nursing station and that's fine. It would be nice if those who do get in contact with her could also let us know how she was so that everyone who's interested can get a full picture.

It dawned on me when Teenah told me about how much Mom seemed to enjoy talking to Vivian that Dan and I only know (and can only report back to everyone here) what we, personally, observe. It's an imcomplete picture if Dan and I say that we have been unable to rouse her and people are left to think that she is unresponsive all the time when there are times that we are not there and she is able to converse on the telephone. The nurses are very good at letting us know what they observe but they do not think to tell us about family/friend interaction because they presume we are all communicating between ourselves.

There is a function here on the blog which allows people to comment on any given post. It would be great if anyone who speaks to Estelle could share their thoughts or observations with everyone. Basically, you simply go to the end of the latest entry and hit "COMMENT" and it will give you a space to type whatever you wish to say and hit "ENTER" and your comment will show up beneath the post. I believe there are options you can use - anonymous, blogger or by name. I think you have to put in your email address but that does not show up anywhere.

It would be most helpful to Dan and I and it would be nice for everyone who's concerned about Estelle's well-being if we all knew, as much as it is possible to know, how often Estelle is awake and aware or if there are any concerns which we might not be addressing because we are unaware of them.

Your input and your help would be much appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. To post a comment simply fill in this box with your comment, hit "select profile," and then hit Anonymous if you do not have any of the other identifications available. After that is complete hit, POST COMMENT and it should show up instantly.

    ReplyDelete