“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Sat. 8/20/2011

I dropped in on Mom mid-afternoon, and she was wide awake when I got there. We talked for a while. I read her her mail, and told her what I knew of how everyone was getting on, which she punctuated now and then with "that's good." I told her about our upcoming vacation, and she asked how long we'd be gone. I told her two weeks, and she said it sounded lovely. Then she asked if I had any children, and we talked through the grown kids and my grandkids with Laura. She wanted to know their birthdays, which was a stumper, so I called Laura and got the inside, then passed it along (no birthdays until November!) But that reminded me that both our birthdays (mine and Laura's) are next week - so I reminded Mom of that. She asked me what she should get Laura, and I told her a sun dress would be nice. I told her I'd get Laura a sundress from her, and she said that would be good. I talked to her more about Nag's Head and some of the other Outer Banks towns like Manteo, Salvo, Cape Hatteras, etc. I've been back enough since we were kids that I don't remember the places that we did and did not stay the few times we went there as kids -- we were probably in and around Nag's Head most of the time. I told her now they have to pump sand onto the beach, and she said something about a bottle. I could not quite grasp the context - maybe finding a message in a bottle, maybe I should bring her some sand in a bottle, maybe she meant the big glass jar of shells she had back at her condo. So I asked whether I should bring back some of the nicer shells we find, for her to look over, feel, etc. She did not seem particularly sentimental about the prospect of such treasures, but I'll give it a shot anyway. Worst thing that can happen is she won't care, and that will be that.

We talked a little with friends on the phone, and Mom got drowsy - so I told her I'd come back tomorrow. She left with a hearty "I'll talk to you tonight" -- so I countered with "how about if I come by tomorrow?" And she said "Yes, even better." Sunday we'll call around to whoever's home, maybe read the paper (well, I may read it, and she may or may not listen), talk if she feels like it, and generally have as much fun as possible under the circumstances. I hope to talk to some of you then!

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment