“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Sat. 7/30-Sun. 7/31

Well, yesterday (Saturday) Mom was fairly chatty, at least at first. She kept mentioning family in England, and we were able to call through. But between how soft her voice is, and I suppose a little difficulty once we called, she didn't manage much over the phone. Her confusion seemed a little cleared up, and she's finished her last course of antibiotics for the last UTI. She also wanted very much to get a glass of water, which of course, she still can't have. Usually, when she is more out of it, it does not bother her. I can only imagine what that must be like, and I usually try not to imagine it (ever her fluids all have to come through the G-tube.) She still has the upper respiratory infection/cough, which does not sound so terrible, but produces a lot of secretions, and we all worry about aspiration (the nurses use a suction pump to try to clear that out, but Mom tends to bite down on the hose - so they have mixed success.) Today, I stopped in and she was adamantly asleep the whole time. Despite a few attempts involving loud "hellos" and a jostle or two, she barely opened her eyes to acknowledge me. So, after a pretty short stay I departed again. Sometimes, I suppose, she'd rather rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment