“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thursday, July 7, 2011

When I first arrived around 9AM, Estelle seemed to be sleeping very soundly so I first straightened her room a bit and hung all of her new cards on her board and then, when I was attempting to check on her feeding tube site (which she seldom wakes up for when I do) she opened her eyes and loudly said either, "Don't bother me," or "Don't bother with me," thereby scaring the life out of me.

I explained who I was (because she often does not recognize me) and what I was doing and she said, "I know all that." I asked her if I could check it and she said sure and so I continued and it looked unchanged. It's still leaking a bit but not badly and her skin remains with the same amount of reddened area as usual. It does not seem to get any better but it certainly is no worse and I suppose that is a good thing.

I sat down and tried to talk to her but she wasn't very responsive. When I asked her how she was she said, "Oh, not so good," but I could not get her to elaborate at all. I went down the list of things which could be hurting and she either said "no," or did not respond to any of them.

I told her about our new car and the broken window and she was silent for about 10 minutes and then, clearly, said, "What did you say?" I repeated it and she said, "Oh, that's terrible," and she asked me what kind of car we had gotten "this time," which was kind of funny because we have had the same car for almost as long as I have known her.

After that it was all downhill. I asked her if there was anyone she wanted to call and she did not respond. I spoke about the weather, I mentioned names of friends and family, I told her about my son's impending visit but she did not respond to any of it.

I stayed for awhile longer without any successful conversation. She appeared to be sleeping when I left. I told her good bye and that we would be back in a day or two but I am unsure if she was aware I was leaving or if she heard what I had said.

Her speech, what little she did say, was very clear, however, and that was a happy thing for me. I often have trouble understanding her but there was very little difficulty today.

Hopefully the weekend will cool down enough that Dan can take her outside for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment