“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Evening, Tuesday, 11/29/11

We dropped in for about half an hour after Laura picked me up at the train station. We dropped off the softest gloves Laura could buy, and had a little visit. Mom's once again having very fluent conversations. When I gave her the cards that had arrived for Thanksgiving, she looked at them as if reading them; I don't think she was (her eyes did not seem to change focus at all, and when I checked for tracking, she did not track my finger moving -- although that may have nothing to do with the ability to focus close-up). Next time I'll check whether she tracks her image in a mirror, which is supposed to be more compelling.

She also stopped her compulsive movements for long enough to hold and look at the cards. So she can override the compulsive behavior for short periods of time if she has another purpose, although for this to be any real permanent cure, she would need a 24-hour misdirector of attention, and I don't think Chris Angel or David Copperfield do pro-bono work at that scale. But it might be a clue. Anyway, after a brief period, she took each card and began to use it to rub her chin once again, so I took the cards from her. She was very kind and pleasant to talk to again last night, as she almost always is when she's conversing fluently, although she showed more signs of deteriorating memory. I told her I'd be in this weekend, and she replied "Oh are you coming back this weekend?" When I said I visited every weekend, she said "Well of course you do." I don't think she remembered exactly who we were this visit.

As I said, a very brief note, as I am late to get in at a decent hour, and work is hopping at the moment. More this weekend.

D

No comments:

Post a Comment