“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuesday, November 28, 2011

Got a phone call from Woodbine at the ungodly hour of 6AM this morning. After scaring 8 years off my life it turned out that the night nurse wanted us to know that Estelle had worn a new opening in her chin and that they had applied an antibacterial ointment and a band aid.

I stopped in to visit after taking Dan to the train station and, sure enough, there is a nasty new open sore on her chin as well as an unsightly bruise on her nose. The nursing staff is at their wit's end and we are about to join them.

All the while I was there she continued to either pull at the band aid or rub it against her chin. If I hold her hand she fights it - which leads me to believe that she would absolutely hate having the arm restrained and that's about our only remaining option if we cannot find a drug which works. She was awake but not very communicative and I don't think she knew who I was. She did thank me for adjusting her gown and she did say that her chin hurt her when I asked but other than that there was not much asked or answered. She does appear agitated much more so than usual.

She has an appointment for the new tube to be put in on Thursday morning at 10AM. She has an IV in place for hydration and medication in the meantime. They are keeping her left arm wrapped in the blankets and with a pillow on top so she does not pull the IV out.

I spoke to the doctor yesterday and he ok'd the order for the new type of feeding tube but when I asked about the involuntary arm and hand movements he told me I needed to talk to the psychiatrist so I got that name and number today from the nurse and I am waiting for a call back from him.

Angelica suggested a soft glove - the mesh mitt did not work and an ordinary mitten did not work - the fabric is rough and when she rubs it does as much, if not more, damage to her skin than her hand does. I stopped at the store and picked up two different types of glove. One a soft fleece and one soft leather. I tried rubbing them both against my skin and did not create much friction with either of them so, hopefully, one of them might work until we can find a drug or a dosage which does the trick.

Wish the news was better. Right now it seems everyone is miserable - Estelle most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment