“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Friday, May 13, 2011

Friday, May 13, 2011

It's been a long week here so this will be short today.

I spent about 90 minutes with Estelle today. She was asleep when I arrived but woke when her friend, Meryl, called on the phone. She was a bit groggy and was having some trouble talking because her mouth was very dry from just waking up so we hung up, I cleaned her mouth out and then we called Meryl back again. She was not real talkative but she did listen intently and seemed quite pleased to be on the phone.

I spoke to the head nurse and to her social worker, Jasmine, who told me that Estelle had a very good day yesterday - one of the best they'd seen. They are getting her up and in a chair every other day and some days they put her chair in the hallway so she can see what's going on. Apparently VIvian had called Jasmine and she arranged for Mom to call Vivian yesterday from the nursing station and, according to Jasmine, they had a very nice phone call so that was good to hear.

After talking to Meryl,I spent some time talking to Mom, watering her plants, checking her feeding tube and just generally being present but not really doing or saying much of anything for a good deal of the time.

The nursing home was having a cook-out/picnic outside today but it was starting to rain. I thought about taking her outside for the stimulation if the rain quit but I am never sure if it's a good idea to have her sitting around and watching people eat things. I do not know how much she might miss eating, I know she always liked food and dinner situations, so I am always afraid it will be a painful reminder for her. Seems better to avoid the situation, there are plenty of other times to go outside and plenty of other activities which do not involve food which are available.

Anyhow, that was our morning. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment