“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sat.-Sun., 5/21-22

Another brief update.

We visited yesterday, and stuck around a little more than an hour. Unfortunately, our conversation was fairly non-eventful. We brought her some more fresh flowers, which she pronounced "beautiful," and talked to her a lot. Mom talked to us a little. I did ask if she remembered she went to the hospital earlier in the week, because of some trouble with her feeding tube. She answered that very clearly with "Yes, it came out." So we know that memories can stay around for days (long-term memories, of course, are there for her in general.)

Today, Sunday, I stayed longer, but more than anything, I watched her sleep. She was in bed when I came by, still asleep, and didn't wake up to loud hellos. I asked the nurse if we could go down to the patio a little later, when she woke up -- that would be fine, the nurse said. She asked whether I wanted to do that now, or after her feeding. I told her "after lunch" would be fine.

When they gave her her meds through the tube, there was some shifting around, so she woke up a bit. I called "Good morning, Mom," from a little distance from her bed. She called back "Good morning, sweetheart." But when the aids were gone, I could not understand much else she was saying today, and she fairly quickly just nodded back off. She'd rouse herself when I called to her (now from right next to the bed,) but conversation was just very difficult. So I asked her if she'd like me to play the guitar, and she was fine with that. I played for a long time, and she listened, and eventually drifted back off to sleep.

I did not ask the nurses to rouse her again to hoist her in the chair and take her downstairs. I slipped out after our Sunday afternoon concert. It seems these days I only know lullabyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment