“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dan here again.

We dropped by in the late morning today, around 11. Laura and I looked at the tube site, and again, we noticed more leakage than we would have liked to see. I think Laura mentioned in her last post that the stomach acid irritates and reddens her skin when there is leakage. There seemed to be a fair amount of leakage, and Laura is going to follow up next week both on that and on the care of the tube site.

Mom's eyes were open and teary, and for long while would not talk. When she did it was very hard to understand her, and I think she was sad today. He affect is so flat that it still feels like a guess. So, I talked to her for a while about Meryl's recent visit, Mark's coming visit, my recent lunch with a friend of ours from Fredericksburg, and so on. She remained hard to understand when she talked, which I told her. She said she didn't undestand (something) - the direct object got garbled. I was a little worried part of the trouble for her might be interpreting the incoming signals as well as finding the words for the outgoing. So I asked, do you understand me? She said yes, but then very clearly added, "I haven't anything to say to anyone."

Well, we spoke a bit longer anyway, and she got a bit clearer here and there, mainly in answers to questions and sentiments like "good" and "wonderful" when we told her various family members are doing well.

We'll see her again tomorrow, and I hope she's in a bit better spirits for Mother's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment