“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Sunday, May 29, 2011

First of all - apologies to those of you who either called yesterday or who were waiting for calls - Dan has a "working weekend" going on here and I am having some health issues of my own and neither of us were able to get to Woodbine yesterday.

Dan is working again today so I went this morning by myself, fully intending to call Marlene and Meryl. Unfortunately, Estelle was not responding or talking anyone who was present today so it didn't seem like a good time to be trying to get her to speak on the telephone.

She was sitting in her chair, but looking pretty uncomfortable. She slumps badly to one side and it is almost impossible to keep her sitting straight. The aide said they had just gotten her up and were intending on taking her out of the room in a little bit but felt that they'd give her some time to adjust to just being in the chair itself before moving her out of her comfort zone. She was not responding to them and she did not respond to me, either. I pulled up a chair and sat next to her and tried to get her attention several times. She would open her eyes and (occasionally) look at me and then turn her head and close her eyes again and that was it. I asked her if she would like to call anyone but, as with everything else I asked her, she did not answer.

I spent some time changing the water in her flowers and straightening her closet and her drawers and then I simply sat with her for another 40 minutes or so and then I left. It is a big weekend here in DC and the streets are filled with motorcycles, motorcycles and more motorcycles (and people lining the streets waiting to wave at motorcycles) making road travel quite difficult. I'm not supposed to be driving anyhow, so it seemed the better part of valor to get myself off the streets as soon as possible.

I did notice 2 shirts in her drawer which I do not recognize. Normally I would simply return them to the nursing staff but I think Viv told Dan that she was sending some clothing to Mom but I do not know if these shirts were from her or if they are in Mom's drawer by mistake. (They seem to have problems keeping clothing straight sometimes.) These blouses did not have names in them and I do not want to tag them as Mom's if they are not her's. If Viv could please contact Dan or myself and let us know, it would be appreciated - and if will also help to make sure they will be returned to Estelle after they are laundered.

Anyhow, everyone have a wonderful holiday weekend, or what's left of it, anyhow. Dan will visit Mom tomorrow if he does not have to work again and hopefully she will respond much better to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment