“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Monday, March 21, 2011

Monday 3/21/11

Laura again.

Nothing much to report today. When I arrived at 9 the nurse's aides were cleaning and dressing Mom. It was nice to see her in "street clothes" again but unfortunately she was not awake and not about to awaken to celebrate it with me. The aides said she had not woken up during her bed bath or dressing and I had no better luck than they in getting her to respond.

She is getting antibiotics through an IV again due to a reoccurance of her UTI so that may be the reason for her lethargy today. Or maybe we're just on that one day awake and one day asleep schedule and that's how it's going to be for awhile.

Regardless, I stayed until a little after 11AM just reading a magazine and tidying up her tulips and her dresser. It's nice to just sit with her quietly sometimes. I know that Estelle loved to talk but I am not such a talker, to be honest, and sitting in comfortable silence is something I've long appreciated.

Dan even found me a prayer for such moments and I was so delighted with it that I'm going to share it with you all in hopes that everyone realizes that sometimes not talking is every bit as important a part of communication as talking is.

Effective Silence
Rabbi Nachman of Breslov, 18th Century Jewish Mystic

Teach me, Dear G-d,
That often
The most effective words
Are no words at all.
Teach me how and when
To communicate
With that most potent gift
Of silence

No comments:

Post a Comment