“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Saturday, 3/19

Dan blogging today, as Laura got a much-needed day off this morning before we went out on errands.

When I got to Mom's room a little after nine this morning, her eyes were already a little open, and she opened them a bit wider and turned toward me when I said good morning, but she didn't reply. I made mention of how nice it's getting outside (It's been beautiful here in Virginia the last couple of days; The sun has been out, the temperature's been mild, and the wind's been light,) and she agreed, "yes, it's beautiful." Thereafter Mom would look at me when I spoke, but said very little. So, I talked about all the good wishes you've all sent along, told her a bit about Laura's/my grandkids, asked her whether there was anything she wanted or needed. She shook her head no for this last. She watched me, but did not speak much at all. I asked her if she wanted me to turn on the television, and she surprised me by answering, "do you want it?" I said no, not especially -- unless she did of course. She said "then no," and we resumed our silence.

Around 10, a nurse's aid came in to get her washed up and ready for the day. I thought she may wake up a bit more when I came back in, but she didn't. So I sat with her until a little before 11. I tell myself that sometimes, if you don't feel like talking, it's nice there's someone familiar there to not talk to.

No comments:

Post a Comment