“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Both Dan and I got to visit with Mom this morning. She was sleeping when we arrived but woke soon afterwards. We visited for awhile but for some reason there were countless nursing interruptions today - maybe because we were there a little later than usual, I don't know. First there were medications to be given and then there was a breathing treatment so we spent a good deal of time in the waiting room instead of visiting with Estelle. It's one of those "good things, bad things," I think. I'm glad to know they spend a good deal of time with her but, on the other hand, I wish they'd do it when I'm not there.

She did get a chance to have a long phone conversation with Vivian so that was a good thing. She always asks about her children and her extended family and friends so it's always nice when we can get her connected with someone she's missing.

Estelle is looking physically better lately, I think. It could just be because we are seeing her more often but I like to think it's a reality and not imaginary. She was wearing a new blue blouse which looked quite nice on her and whatever new body lotion they are using really smells great. I tried to talk the aide into telling me what the name of it was but she would not give it up. I think it's one of the "magic potions" that the bathing aide makes up personally. Whatever it was, it smelled wonderful.

Mom was a little confused today, and somewhat sad. She wants to go somewhere but she's unsure where it is she wants to go. It's hard to tell her she cannot do so. Dan talked to her about needing to work at it and she seemed satisfied but I don't think she really understands.

We are hoping this last holding on of the winter leaves soon so that we can, at the very least, get her outside and into the fresh air. Unfortunately it is cold and wet and looks more like November than almost April. Even the doffodils look confused.

We're still waiting on maintenance to hang the pictures. They seem to work at their own speed and that speed is not fast. Because I am a world-class procrastinator myself I do not have the heart to chase them down just yet. I have no idea of what their daily workday is like so I will hope that as soon as they have time they will come and insert the hardware into the wall and we can hang the artwork.

Thanks to everyone who calls or writes - as always, it is muchly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment