“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Estelle is in her new room this evening. It is on the same floor with the same nurses but this one is a 2-bed room right next to the nurse's station. The room number is 201A. It is not a window bed but it is considerably larger than the one she was in earlier, and somewhat larger than her room at The Manor. She has an entire double closet to herself as well as two sets of dresser drawers. We've put some of her pictures out and we are trying to get permission to hang her O'Keefe print from home on the wall next to her bed. She has her own television, complete with cable and her phone should be installed in the next day or two. I will get the number to everyone as soon as it becomes available.

Unfortunately, we aren't sure how she likes the room as she's been sleeping all day. I spent a few hours with her this morning but she did not wake up at all while I was there. (It ended up being a good thing, however, because her two roommates in the old room were fighting with one another at the top of their lungs for much of the time I was there. I was somewhat in awe of the language that two 90 year old women could spit at one another - but that's another story. Part of me was horrified, part of me hopes I have that kind of energy, minus the venom, left in me!!)

Anyhow, I did not try very hard to wake Estelle for obvious reasons.

They could not move her when I was there this AM because the new room had not been cleaned and they were waiting for a new air mattress (like the one she had at The Manor to arrive) and I had a few things I needed to do so I had to leave before the move took place. By the time Dan and I got back there this evening she was all snug in her new room on her new mattress and still sleeping peacefully. Her new roommate is named Mabel and is a very nice lady who is quite talkative, very friendly and quite concerned about Mom. She's soft spoken and kindly and has promised to "keep an eye" on Mom. What a difference a roommate makes!!

We stayed about an hour, unpacking her suitcase and putting the pictures up, but she did not wake up and, as it was already nearing 7:30PM and Mabel was getting sleepy we did not try really hard to rouse her.

I will be going back in the morning around 9:15AM. Hopefully she will be more alert again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the wishes and concern once again. It's very helpful to all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment