“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family” Anthony Brandt

Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday, April 22, 2011

Our sympathies and prayers are in England with the family of Estelle's brother, Alan, today. Alan passed away last night after a lingering illness and there are no adequate words to express our sorrow for their loss to his family and friends.

Estelle's sister, Marlene, has left it up to Estelle's immediate family as to the proper way and time to tell her of her brother's death and we are still undecided as to when that will be. She is still recovering from her own recent set-back and Dan and I are not sure she would even be able to process the information in her current condition.

I spent some time with her this morning and although she was awake when I arrived she did not respond to me at all. Normally we can get her to say "hello," and make short conversation but today she was having none of it. She did not make eye contact with me or the nurses who were in and out and she did not acknowledge any conversation attempt by any of us. She seemed a bit agitated. When she gets upset she generally moves her right hand alot but if you hold her hand, she stops. Today she simply pulled her hand away from mine and continued to pick at the bed clothes.

Eventually she fell asleep and I stayed for a bit to make sure she did not wake right back up and when she began snoring, I felt fairly safe in leaving her.

I wish there were more things to offer her, but I do not know what those things could be.

Again, our heart-held thoughts and prayers are with Alan's family.

Please hold them in your hearts, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment